Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

We Need a Name for Our 3rd Team!


The Albany All Stars
would like to present:
????????

Hey folks-

Maybe you’ve heard, maybe you haven’t, we’re going to have a new team!

I grew up in Binghamton, a small city in Broome County, just above Pennsylvania. Back then, Binghamton had a local AHL-affiliated hockey team that played at the Arena (it still does, although it has morphed a few times since this story of my childhood). When I was an impressionable kid, the team was the Whalers. I have no idea how there happened to be “Whalers” in Binghamton; there certainly weren’t whales in the Chenango and Susquehanna rivers.

Even before the Whalers, (and my time) there were the “Dusters.” I remember sitting in Mrs. K’s 4th grade class and she asked us who knew the name of the local hockey team. Then she asked us if anyone knew the name of the team before the Whalers. I had no clue. She told us it was the Dusters and that she had named them! She said there was a contest and she thought the “Broome Dusters” would be a great name for the team, and to the chagrin of her family, she submitted the name. The powers that were liked it, and for a number of years in the 1970’s, the AHL-affiliated team, which played in the Broome County Arena, was the Broome Dusters.

First of all, here I am 22 years later remembering a silly story from Mrs. K’s class and recounting it to you. So -- Hooray for the silly teachers you remember! Secondly, Mrs. K was very proud her silly-creative streak was appreciated; maybe that’s what stuck with me. I think, however, that this moment in time has stayed with me, because I was taught long division by someone who was so very cool, she named a hockey team.

Here is the point of my rambling: you too could be as cool as Mrs. K. Our new team is going to need a name. So, we are looking to you (our fans) for suggestions. The suggestions could be suggestive, scary, or funny; you name it. Perhaps you can’t come up with a name idea, but you could come up with an awesome theme or a color combination that rocks. Send us your suggestions to new_team@albanyallstars.com by 11:59 pm on September 29. If we pick your name, you could score some free tickets. Not to mention, if you are a 4th grade teacher, your students will remember you forever. Really, naming a roller derby team is way more rockin’ than naming a hockey team.

Get your thinking helmets on. We’ve got a new team to name!

Polly Morphic, #79

No comments:

Post a Comment